Monday, October 30, 2006

I don't get it. And I do.

When I was a kid back before electricity and the steam engine came to be, not a whole lot of decorating was done for Halloween. People with kids and people without them but that liked them would toss up a few things here and there, and occasionally somebody would go all out to make things spooky for trick-or-treaters.

Now, however, the day really has been merged into the Thanksgiving-Christmas season. So many people put up lights and more and more elaborate displays (probably a competition between neighbors not to be outdone). It just amazes me. I don't get it.

But I do get it. It's fun to get into the spirit of the holidays, and Hell, why not? So people do.

But it is still irritating. Fully 1/4 of the year is basically preparation for the holidays and the holidays themsleves, and you are just bombarded with it starting in September. It's so numbing after a while that the meaning of Thanksgiving and Christmas are just lost in the frenzy. And I hate that. I really do.

But not as much as I hate Condi Rice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I put up some eyeball lights and some ghostie garland -- but I did it on Sunday. And I'll take it down tomorrow. It's festive, but it's also functional -- with the lights and such, the kiddos know I am likely to answer the door with candy! When the candy's gone (or it's time for "Boston Legal"), the lights go out.